You enter a store that specialises in fly rods. Your aim – to purchase your first fly rod. The store owner approaches and describes the brilliant fishing to be had in the mountain streams. “Wow”, you exclaim. “What rod would you recommend if I go up there?” “This is the rod for you”, he pronounces.
The Mop Fly has been described as one of the most sinful flies of all time – in terms of one of the easiest flies to tie as well as to fish. It is a very simple fly to tie and a very effective and productive fly for trout.
Here is a new knot to try – the Davy Knot. This knot is attributed to Davy Wotton, a fly fishing expert living in the United States.
It is very compact, making it a suitable knot for small flies. It is probably easier to tie than the famous Penny knot and It also uses very little tippet if tied carefully.
This video tests the location of dumbbell eyes tied on flies. I test under and over the hook shank with several conditions including a water test. This video might help beginning fly tiers understand the effect dumbbell eyes have on a fly depending on tie in location.
Steve Rajeff teaches distance casting to FFI/IFFF Master Casting Instructors – Long Beach Casting Club – March 29, 2014
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- 0:00 Stroke length/ Tempo/ Trajectory
- 1:14 How many false casts when bonefishing?
- 3:41 Note the textbook FFI definition of the trailing (underslung) loop on his distance backcast
- 3:46 Here’s another example of the trailing loop
- 3:51 Opening/closing wrist throughout the stoke
- 6:10 Rod action’s influence on optimal rotation timing
- 7:04 Tracking
- 8:14 Thumb position
- 8:54 Stance for tracking
- 9:24 Haul speed
- 10:57 Thrust
- 12:25 Elevation of the hand?
Steve Rajeff teaches competition accuracy casting to Master Casting Instructors – Long Beach Casting Club – March 30, 2014.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- 0:05 Hand position changes with distance
- 4:03 Tendency to tail from late wrist rotation
- 5:19 Double haul enables shorter stroke for accuracy
- 7:31 Hovering the fly
- 8:49 Leader design
- 12:24 Leader butt diameter and stiffness
- 13:07 Bass Bug event
- 13:26 DT vs.
|Club Executive, Committee and Delegates||1|
|An Award to Remember||4|
|Some NETAS News||5|
|Outings Report - Wallabi Point, July 22nd||7|
|Outings Photos - Wallabi Point||8|
|Toadfish of Toado||9|
|Social Secretary's Report||9|
|10th Anniversary Celebration News - "Watch this Space"||10|
|"It Seems to Me" - Occasional comments from a Life Member||12|
|July AGM Photos||13|
|Thank You, Supporters!|