Bob Popovics’ Surf Candy is the epoxy streamer fly that started a revolution in modern fly patterns for saltwater gamefish. This tough epoxy streamer tied with synthetic materials is a perfect imitation of small, slender baitfish like silversides, sand eels, and small anchovies.
Everybody loves the Woolly Bugger, and a lot of streamer fishermen swear by patterns tied with zonker strips because of the great pulsating action these flies display in the water. So what if you combined the two and threw in some peacock herl for good measure?
- Hook: #14-20 Daiichi 1560
- Bead: Small Red Glass Bead
- Thread: Brown Veevus 8/0
- Tail: Pheasant Tail
- Rib: Small Red Wire
- Thorax: Peacock Herl
- Case: Medium Veevus Pearlescent Tinsel
- Legs: Red Krystal Flash
The Red Headed Step Child is a great small mayfly nymph or general attractor nymph developed by fly tying guru Hogan Brown.
Target Fish: Mullet, Herring and Bass
All the flies listed below target the herring, however they are still very effective on bass – especially if fished around the fringes and in and under cover – especially in the deeper water.
Carp Fly – Backstabber Hybrid
This Carp fly is a real killer for Bass in size 4, Herring in size 8 and 10 and Carp in size 4.
Here’s an SBS of a nice easy to tie crab fly that’s great for bonefish, permit, reds etc…anything that eats a crab is going to eat this.
- Hook: Gamakatsu S10S-4H six 6-2/0
- Thread: Tan 6/0 Uni thread
- Weight: Lead or brass dumbbells to suit situation
- Mouthparts: marabou
- Claws: 4 hackle feathers
- Eyes: burnt 30lb mono dipped in epoxy (ready made are fine too)
- Body: EP fibres
- Legs: round rubber or silli legs
Related PostsRead More »
Hendo’s Flea Fly is a creation of our Club Patron Brian Henderson. Due to this fly being a new creation/interpretation there is only the folklore of fishing to back up the following pattern.
It has been said that with this fly well presented to tailing whiting sessions of 50+ fish have been achieved.
A vintage Aussie pattern; hen rainbows have been known to throw their hotel room keys on stage when seen. A few changes to the original due to materials on hand – possum for black squirrel and rabbit for kangaroo in the wing.
The Sugar Cube Emerger, or suspender buzzer, is a fairly easy fly to tie using only a few materials but it’s very effective, especially on still water trout.
- Hook: Light weight curved hook like a Kamazan B100 or Tiemco 2487 in sizes 10-20
- Thread: Uni 8/0 or UTC 70 denier
- Tag: Flat gold, silver or pearl tinsel
- Rib: as tag
- Abdomen: Dubbing of your choice
- Thorax: As abdomen
- Head: Plastazote, or other high-density foam cut into a strip.