Created by Hans Weilenmann, and inspired by Clark Reid’s “Clark’s Cicada“, the C-13, or Cicada 13, is a simple cicada pattern that has the characteristics to imitate this insect. It combines the the typical plop when it lands with good buoyancy provided by the deer hair. It can be tied in a range of sizes and colours.
- Hook: Dry fly hook, #4-14 (#10 used in the video)
- Thread: Olive (UTC 70)
- Tail: Krystal flash, opal – short
- Abdomen: Fox squirrel, dyed olive; SLF Prism, peacock – mixed (or colour to match the natural)
- Wing: Z-lon, silver – delta shape; Antron yarn
- Collar/head: Deer hair, dyed olive (or colour to match the natural)