The Gurgler Fly Pattern is a floating fly that spits and “gurgles” when stripped, and is designed to imitate everything from shrimp to baitfish and a frog for bass.
Invented by the late Jack Gartside, the Gurger is a simple and very effective fly to tie, and the tying technique has even been incorporated into mouse flies for trout.
It can be tied in many different colours and sizes. White, Tan, Shrimp, Chartreuse and Olive are favourites among many fishing guides in both the salt and freshwater.
Gurgler Fly Tying Recipe
- Hook: #04-2/0 Tiemco 811S or Mustard 34007
- Thread: Red UTC 140
- Tail: White Bucktail or Neer Hair or EP Fibres
- Flash: Pearl Crystal Flash
- Body 1: Pearl Ice Chenille
- Body 2: Grizzly or White Hackle
- Casing: White Foam 3 to 4mm thick, 10 – 12mm wide
Here is a great video on the Tarpon Gurgler – great fishing