One of a large group of themed patterns, the Thunder Creek Silver Shiner makes a robust and effective imitation of a small baitfish. Although it looks simple, it is not that easy to tie because getting the hair the right length and keeping the two colours separate takes a reasonable level of tying skill.
The Thunder Creek range was devised by American fly tyer Keith Fulsher to imitate a whole variety of fish species, and the Silver Shiner is one of the simplest.
Presentation Tips: swung down & across or stripped.
Source: The Fly Tyer’s Bible, pp. 216 – 17.
- Hook: Size 6-8X longshank
- Thread: Red
- Body: Medium-width oval silver tinsel
- Wing: White and brown bucktail
- Head: Clear lacquer with painted eyes
- Thunder Creek Minnow
- Thunder Creek Flies – Global Fly Fisher