Bob Popovics’ Surf Candy is the epoxy streamer fly that started a revolution in modern fly patterns for saltwater gamefish. This tough epoxy streamer tied with synthetic materials is a perfect imitation of small, slender baitfish like silversides, sand eels, and small anchovies. The Surf Candy is famous for it’s durability and attractiveness to a wide range of species including striped bass, bluefish, and false albacore, but any fish that prey on small, bright baitfish will love the Popovics’ Surf Candy.
- Hook: Short shank, #2/0 or #3/0.
- Thread: Fine, colour to match fly or clear monofilament.
- Body: Flat silver mylar tinsel.
- Under wing: Clear/white Ultra Hair or Super Hair.
- Middle wing: Add 6-8 flash fibres like Flashabou, Crystal Flash or Lure Flash.
- Upper wing: Chartreuse Ultra Hair or Super Hair topped with dark grey, black or olive Ultra Hair or Super Hair.
- Eyes: 3D prism eyes or other self sticking eyes.
- Head and Coating: 5 minute epoxy.
- Attach the thread just behind the hook eye.
- Attach mylar tinsel.
- Turn the tinsel to the hook bend and back.
- Tie off.
- Tie in a bunch o clear Ultra Hair.
- If you want you can spread them around the shank to form a more round body.
- Tie in 3-4 flash fibres. Fold them back and secure them.
- Add a bunch of chartreuse Ultra Hair.
- Add a bunch of dark Ultra Hair.
- Prepare the epoxy. Mix well, and avoid adding bubbles by folding the two parts together.
- Apply the epoxy using your bodkin.
Do not use too much. Add a small amount at a time. You have got plenty of time even though 5 minutes does not seem much.
Make sure to add epoxy in the part of the wing, which goes from the hook bend to the eye.
- Stretch the wing using the index finger and thumb off your other hand.
If you pull the wing as much as you can, you will get a slim profile. if you push the wing a little bit forward as the epoxy sets you will get a thicker profile moving more water.
- Let the epoxy set.
- Add prism eyes.
- Add next layer of epoxy. If the epoxy starts dripping or running you have to rotate the or take it off.
If you do not have a rotating rotating epoxy fly dryer, consider adding a second and third thin layer of epoxy instead of just a heavy second layer.
- Let the fly dry.
- Tie some more.
- Trim the fibres so that the wing becomes thinner towards the tip.
You can use a red/orange marker to make gills between the epoxy layers and you can use different kinds and sizes of self sticking eyes to change the appearance of the Surf Candy.