Denny’s AP Emgerger Variant is a well-known Denny Rickard’s stillwater fly pattern used on lakes and reservoirs all over. The AP (stands for All Purpose) emerger is basically a larger sized soft hackle that had a wood duck, mallard, or partridge tail, a dubbed body with a wire rib through it, a peacock thorax, and a partridge soft hackle. Read More »
The Muz Wilson BMS, or “Bullen Meri Special” gets it’s name from Lake Bullen Merri near Camperdown in the volcanic plains of Western Victoria. It is highly regarded as an imitation of the Galaxiid Minnow when tied in olive and when in white, an Australian Smelt. Read More »
- Hook – Size 6 or 8
- Thread – Invisible thread
- Tail and Body – 6 to 8 strands of Crystal flash
- Eyes – Small Spotlight bling eyes ($3)
- Body coating – UV resin
- Finisher – Sally Hansen’s Hard-as-Nails
- Cover hook with thread, secure with half hitch and a little Sally Hansen’s Hard-as-Nails.
Bob Popovics’ Surf Candy is the epoxy streamer fly that started a revolution in modern fly patterns for saltwater gamefish. This tough epoxy streamer tied with synthetic materials is a perfect imitation of small, slender baitfish like silversides, sand eels, and small anchovies.
Everybody loves the Woolly Bugger, and a lot of streamer fishermen swear by patterns tied with zonker strips because of the great pulsating action these flies display in the water. So what if you combined the two and threw in some peacock herl for good measure?
- Hook: #14-20 Daiichi 1560
- Bead: Small Red Glass Bead
- Thread: Brown Veevus 8/0
- Tail: Pheasant Tail
- Rib: Small Red Wire
- Thorax: Peacock Herl
- Case: Medium Veevus Pearlescent Tinsel
- Legs: Red Krystal Flash
The Red Headed Step Child is a great small mayfly nymph or general attractor nymph developed by fly tying guru Hogan Brown.
Here’s an SBS of a nice easy to tie crab fly that’s great for bonefish, permit, reds etc…anything that eats a crab is going to eat this.
- Hook: Gamakatsu S10S-4H six 6-2/0
- Thread: Tan 6/0 Uni thread
- Weight: Lead or brass dumbbells to suit situation
- Mouthparts: marabou
- Claws: 4 hackle feathers
- Eyes: burnt 30lb mono dipped in epoxy (ready made are fine too)
- Body: EP fibres
- Legs: round rubber or silli legs
Related PostsRead More »
Hendo’s Flea Fly is a creation of our Club Patron Brian Henderson. Due to this fly being a new creation/interpretation there is only the folklore of fishing to back up the following pattern.
It has been said that with this fly well presented to tailing whiting sessions of 50+ fish have been achieved.