This guide was found on the Flymen Fishing Co website by Club member Gary Pearton. Thanks, Gary!
This guide will give you a good understanding on the many ways you can assemble your fly box and provide some tips on how to keep them organised within the box.
This isn’t just about matching colours and sizes, this is about the strategy behind what flies you should carry on the water with you on any given day on the water. All the fly selection knowledge in the world is wasted if you don’t have the right fly in your box to match what the trout are eating.
General Tips on Organising Fly Boxes
- Organise what You Can’t Memorise
- Birds of a Feather Should Stick Together
- Use a Fly Box That Fits Your Flies
Ways to Organise Your Fly Box
- Flies by Imitation
- By Pattern Type
- Organise by Profile and Weight
- Organise by Seasons & Water Type
- Water type – freestones, tailwaters, spring creeks, stillwater
- Season – Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
- Organise by Fly Type – Dry Flies, Nymphs, Streamers, Emergers, Wet Flies
- Organise by Fish Target
- Organise by Confidence
Complete article can be found on the Flymen Fishing Co website.